Wondering about what kind’s of jobs will qualify for federal student loan forgiveness in exchange for public service? Here are the guidelines from the US Department of Education:

What are public service jobs that would qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness?

The job must be full time employment in a “Public Service Organization” to qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

Employers that qualify as Public Service Organizations include:

  • Government organizations including federal, state, local or tribal organization, agency or entity; a public child or family service agency; or a tribal college or university.
  • A not-for-profit, tax-exempt, organization under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS.
  • A private, not for profit organization that provides one or more of the following services, and is not a labor union or political organization:
    Emergency Management, military service, public safety, law enforcement, public interest law services, early childhood education, public service for the disabled or elderly, public health, public education, public library services, school library, or other school-based services.

Full time Employment requirement:

  • Must work an average of 30 hours per week at a qualified organization.
  • Teachers are considered full time if under contract for 8 out of 12 months while averaging over 30 hours per week during the contractual period.
  • If employed for more than one qualifying part-time job adding to a combined average of at least 30 weekly hours, applicants may be determined eligible.

How do I begin the process to qualify for public service loan forgiveness?

Please note that the information provided on this website is provided on a general basis and may not apply to your own specific individual needs, goals, financial position, experience, etc. LendKey does not guarantee that the information provided on any third-party website that LendKey offers a hyperlink to is up-to-date and accurate at the time you access it, and LendKey does not guarantee that information provided on such external websites (and this website) is best-suited for your particular circumstances. Therefore, you may want to consult with an expert (financial adviser, school financial aid office, etc.) before making financial decisions that may be discussed on this website.